Monday, January 12, 2015

Vocabulary Development

After reflecting on our discussion on vocabulary and literacy and other discussions this week, two important themes have stood out in particular – the importance of building on previous knowledge and giving students independence.
In thinking about my own experience now as a student, building on previous vocabulary knowledge has been key. I remember one of the first readings I did for before my first class at TCNJ. I felt like a giant question mark was etched in my mind as a flurry of educational mishmash flooded my brain. Since July, I’ve been studying rather intensively – eating, drinking, breathing, dreaming, writing, reading and living elementary education ripe with nuanced vocabulary. As I’ve encountered new vocabulary this week, I see how I’ve been able to activate this schema of new words to consolidate existing knowledge and form a stronger conceptual understanding of terms that were foreign to me just a short time ago. Drawing on this and making connections with what I already learned through the lens of this class has led me to more “a ha! moments” of clarity where I feel I better understand how to apply my learning about literacy to how I’ve taught in the past and how I’ll teach in the future.
As I write now, thinking about my own learning, organizing my thoughts to draw conclusions, I see I am consolidating and building new schemas automatically. But how do I even know how to do that? How am I making meaning and sense of what I am learning? The answer is that great teachers in the past have given me the tools to do so.
I strongly believe reflecting on how we learn ourselves can give us tremendous insight into how to teach. Vocabulary plays a critical role in literacy, but simply introducing new vocabulary isn’t enough. As my own experiences illustrate, connecting words to existing knowledge in context and giving students strategies to activate the language they have with new vocabulary is crucial.

The Vocabulary Self-Collection is a new strategy that stood out for me from the readings as it encompasses prior knowledge, context, motivation, and gives students the autonomy to take ownership of their learning. Students bring to class words they don’t understand and want to learn. They then discuss where they saw it and agree upon words for a class collection of vocabulary. By letting students take charge as “word detectives” they become motivated to learn new words. I can see this collaboration as being so beneficial. Vocabulary learning suddenly becomes a social class activity they can contribute to. Furthermore, actively explaining their rationale for choosing the words and what they thought the words meant requires students to make their thinking visible and activate their previous knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Charla, I'm glad you found something new in vocabulary self-selection. I like the term "word detectives." I bet that could be fun in the elementary grades. I can see students wearing a Sherlock Holmes hat with a magnifying glass holding their word and pictured/featured on a bulletin board. Also, I never really thought about the social aspect of the strategy as well. I think that is important to consider and learning theory certainly backs it up. I think some teachers are afraid of letting go of the word list because they do not know where the kids are going to take them in learning new vocabulary and will they be learning the appropriate words, will they learn the words that will be on standardized tests. I think we both know that they'll probably learn way more than they would with predetermined lists. Now, that's not to say those lists are wrong. I think they just need to be purposeful - words that have cognates in other languages, words that help you be more persuasive, words that have multiple meanings - for example :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charla,

    I definitely agree with everything you've said. When I was in school, we were given word lists that we had to memorize, and I always HATED it. I wasn't motivated, I forgot the words we had learnt so quickly; it was just a nightmare. But I have to add that incidental or indirect learning of vocabulary is definitely the number one contributor to vocabulary knowledge. Take me for example. I spent my entire life in a French school, yet I read and watched TV series in English almost all the time. I never had the opportunity to directly be taught English vocabulary; nonetheless my English writing and fluency is -surprisingly- better than my French. I know more vocabulary words in English than in French! That's because I am exposed to it and am indirectly learning from it; rather than being directly taught as I was in school. This is just to say that teachers of course should focus on explicitly teaching vocabulary (and the VSS strategy is great! Just because it makes it more personal), however, encouraging reading and "setting up traps" that will lead students to be exposed to anything that might enhance their vocabulary, indirectly, lays the foundations and is the strongest root of vocabulary development.

    ReplyDelete